What is Spiritual Direction?
Spiritual Direction is a specialized ministry in the church. It is a graced way of serving another believer, helping the other to grow in intimacy with God and to live out the consequences of this intimacy. The Focus of a spiritual direction relationship is the directee’s experience of God and how communication happens between God and the directee. Trained spiritual directors have a background in ministry, communication skills, personality dynamics and various resources in prayer, spirituality and scripture. While some directors may be trained, pastoral or psychological counselors problem, solving or therapy is not the focus. Rather, both director and directee agree to meet regularly so that the directee might pay closer attention to God.
A Trained Director Helps You:
- be more aware of who God is for you
- to notice God’s movement in the events of your life, in your prayer
- to be able to talk about what your are experiencing
- to reverence and savor your experiences of God
- to be attentive to God’s invitations, urgings, confirmations
- to recognize resistances and roadblocks
- in the process of making choices that respond to God’s invitation
In spiritual direction, you are far more active than the director is, but you are also fully assisted by the loving attitude and attentiveness of the director.
In the coming weeks we will have more information on the subject of spiritual direction and it’s availability to our parishioners.